Thursday 23 June 2016

SET HIGH STANDARDS…LIVE ABOVE THEM!


My girl, Doris and I were talking about people and how sometimes they make you feel as though your principles are way out of this world and they need you to ‘loosen up’ a little- let go of every value you have built your life on and live life like they do besides you only live once…so a little compromise here and there can’t hurt. Right? God No!!!!!! It will hurt and hurt you bad, sometimes sooner than later.
They say experience is the best teacher and as much as I do not totally agree with this statement, I sure have learnt under its mostly painful tutelage. I can tell you instances and more, where I have let down my standards just for a bit and regretted it a whole lot. I used to do it, and still do sometimes so I guess I would be needing this blog post too: D, mostly because I wanted to fit in. Growing up, I always felt different…not inadequate but different, like an outsider looking in through this glass wall and watching everyone else ‘chill out’ on the other side. And it would hurt so bad I would cry and ask God while I didn’t ‘fit in’ ever. It took years for the answer to sink in and for me to accept it, but I now know that, DIFFERENT IS GOOD! And I am not saying it in that religious ‘straight and narrow is the way that leads to heaven’ sense, but in the ‘God created everyone with a unique something that should make you stand out…or as I like to say, stand apart’ sense. You see, I have said it before and I would keep saying it a lot! No matter how many people do a particular thing, there’s something different about the way they all do it, my mum calls it our signature. And you see, that right there is your uniqueness and that my friends makes you different from everyone else. The only way to be ‘the same’ as ‘them’ is to deem your shine and what makes you special. We were not created to be moving around the world like zombies doing everything the same way at the same time and having the exact same results!
So, the thing about standards is they are set not to be brought down or lower but to be raised constantly because once you drop them, they lose value. And compromise….hmm the word I dread! Please when someone says to you; compromise now, run for the sake of your precious life! Yes, your life! Your standards, your values, your principles make your life…these are the foundations of the person you are, of your life. So do not, I repeat, DO NOT accommodate people who think you have to ‘measure down’ to their level. Sounds harsh but some friendships/relationships are don’t worth holding on to if it means a constant pull down. A little compromise will turn to another one and then a bigger one until you don’t even recognize yourself any more. You become a shadow of someone or something and be miserable and then you would realize that you have wasted valuable time trying to be a person someone else thinks you need to be for them. And the worst part is, when you compromise, you are most likely going to tarnish your reputation and soil your integrity. So dear is it really worth it????? Remember Proverbs 22:1 says: ‘A good name is better than much wealth; high esteem is better than silver and gold.
So summary of what I am saying is:
Dream big, dream great, having high goals is okay. Do not anyone or anything pull you out of your life track. Never compromise and most importantly, Set high High standards and live above them!



*FYI, I am grateful for my friends, especially people like Doris who constantly remind me the importance of not compromising!!!!! Thanks Girl!!!!


And Congratulations to Sharon and Damilo on graduating well! Keep the standard up, ladies! :*

No comments: